Here is a summary of resources and highlights from my presentation to the Calgary SEO Meetingup group on January 27th :
Extra info added on Jan 28th:
- @zoomjer - Edmonton Real Estate Agent with a love for bacon (re: personal branding success)
- www.sxc.hu – a resource for free pictures for your blog
- Flickr Creative Commons – more free pictures for your blog
Mitch Joel’s “Blogging and Podcasting as Business Model” blog post. Mitch talks about:
- Paid content (direct). The content is valuable and people are willing to pay for it. Examples:
- Advertising supported (direct). The content is freely distributed, but it is packaged with advertising.
- Thought leadership (indirect). There is no advertising or “sales pitch” in the content, but the hopes are that the content creates the desire to want to work with the content producer.
Chris Brogan’s $10 month subscription for weekly Blog Topics and writing tips.
Partnership Group – Sponsorship Specialists Blog
Blogger Story – Susanna Lau of Style Bubble
Examples of successful bloggers:
- Satoralist – photo blogger – wildly sucessful
- Dooce – Heather Armstrong – she earns an$40K / month from her blog
- From Wikipedia: In 2002, Armstrong ignited a fierce debate about privacy issues when she was allegedly fired from her job as a web designer and graphic artist because she had written satirical accounts of her experiences at a dot-com startup on her personal blog, dooce.com. She did not challenge her termination and has refrained from identifying her place of employment in interviews.
- Armstrong warns her fellow bloggers: I started this website in February 2001. A year later I was fired from my job for this website because I had written stories that included people in my workplace. My advice to you is BE YE NOT SO STUPID.
- Miss604 - Rebecca Bollwit – blogging since 2004 and podcasting since 2005, in 2008 she started Sixty4media a social media consulting firm where she develops wordpress website
Sites that have Apps that could inspire blogging content:
- ‘Social Media, an Hour a Day’ by Dan Evans
- ‘Content Rules’ by CC Chapman and Ann Hadley (MarketingProfs)
- ‘Six Pixels of Separation’ by Mitch Joel, Also download his Podcasts via iTunes
- ‘Trust Agents’ by Chris Brogan and Julien Smith
- ‘Crush It’ by Gary Vaynerchuk, and my fav Gary Vaynerchuk Video: click to play
- ‘Made to Stick’ by Chip Heath (not social media but still worthwhile)
How to connect with me:
Why Blog Worksheet:
Google Alerts – how I love Google Alerts!
Get alerted (via email or RSS) if your name, company or competitors are discussed online. There are simple ways to do this, and a few more complicated ways.
Here is the presentation I gave last week at the Calgary SEO and Online Marketing Meetup, enjoy!
Please post your questions or other Google alert tips here!Read More